2020 School Predictions

2020 School Predictions

This school year is sure to be unlike any before it, with the new hybrid learning system and safety protocols for in-school learning. Many things may look different to students attending St. Edward.

I asked the student body what their predictions are for this school year and these were my results.

I asked students how they thought school was going to be like for the whole school year and these were my responses:

80 percent of students predicted that the hybrid system would last all year long.

12 percent of students predicted that at some point all students would be back in school like normal.

8 percent of the students predicted that all students would be remote learners

I then asked students to predict whether thought we would be able to have school dances and here is what they said:

53 percent of students predicted we would not have any school dances this year.

47 percent of students predicted we would have a dance this year.

“As silly as we may look, we might have to wear masks and not be allowed to actually dance, which I know that is what a dance is all about, but we might not be able to maintain social distancing then if there is a dance,” said Senior Maddey O’Connell. Many of the students explained that if we were able to have any dances that they predict it would be outdoors and that we would all have to wear mask.

Then I asked students if they thought spirit wear everyday will continue throughout the year and these were the results:

28 percent of the students predicted that spirit wear would not continue through

out the school year

72 percent of the students predicted that spirit wear everyday would continue

“As the year goes on it is most likely that we will return to normal uniforms, and uniform masks may be put in place,” said Senior Ethan Wagh. Many students explained that they do not think spirit wear will continue all year, but they hope it does.

I then asked students to predict what they thought graduation would look like this year and almost all the responses were the same. Many students expressed that graduation would most likely look the same as last year, socially distanced, mask being worn, and a limited amount of guest that each person has. On the other hand, some students predicted that graduation would be completely virtual.

Then I asked students what they thought clubs would be like this year at St. Edward and these were my results. Many students predicted that if clubs did continue this year, they would be very small and mainly online. Students also explained that they do not think clubs will be as fun as they have been in the previous years. Some clubs have already started and all meetings, so far, have been online or virtual.

I then asked students to predict how they think sports would like this year. Many students predicted that sports would be pushed back to a later time and picked back up later in the year. Some students did explain that they did not think sports would even be an option this year because of all the precautions that would have to be taken. Others predicted that if there would probably be certain sports that will happen like golf, cross country, and track since those are not contact sports like basketball or soccer.

I asked students if they thought the “hallway flow” will continue throughout the year and here is what they said:

85 percent of students predict that the hallway flow will continue but hopes it does not.

The other 15 percent of students predict that it will not last the whole year.

At the beginning of this school year, we were informed that lockers were not going to be an option for the first quarter, to reduce crowds in the hallway. I asked students if they thought lockers would be an option later on this year and here were the results:

60 percent of students predicted that lockers would be an option later on this year while the other 40 percent of students predicted that they will not be an option after all.

I asked students if they thought field trips would be an option this year due to the pandemic and here were the results:

36 percent of students predicted that there would be field trips later on in the year.

64 percent of students predicted that there would not be any field trips this year because it would either too complicated or just a risk to the students that is worth taking.

At the end of my survey I asked the students to rate how well they think this school year will be out 5 stars, the average rating was 3 out of 5 stars. “I think that we will have a good year despite what’s going on in the world. This has already become normal to me and I suspect the same goes for my classmates,” said Sophomore Joseph Lee. No matter what, it will be an interesting year. So, as we go on let’s see how our predictions change.