Lights, Camera, Call to Action

Jennifer Reynoso, Reporter

April 15, 2018 was closing night for the musical Joseph and The Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat. As hugs, pictures, and “congratulations” went around, the St. Edwards theatre department did not expect for it to be their last performance with Miss Rodman. 

Miss Rodman was the St. Edward theatre director who directed five fall plays and five spring musicals. Throughout her St. Edward career she directed her seventh to sixteenth shows. On June 20, 2019, many of her students received news that she would no longer be at St. Eds. The theatre department has now been left without a director.

Many of the theatre students are becoming very anxious as it gets closer to theatre season and have received no news about a new director or anything addressing the theatre department at all. Senior, Marisa Broertjes, gave her intake on the situation. “I’m extremely stressed out because I don’t know what’s going on and I’m not sure how I feel about a director I’m not familiar with. I’m just nervous and I’m not sure if I want to be part of theatre anymore.” While some theatre students are anxious, others seem to be excited to see what new opportunities and ideas a new director might bring. For example, senior Michael Mindykowski said “I hope our new director is able to achieve what Miss Rodman did. I’m hoping for a successful theatre season with many amazing shows. Let’s hope our new director is a friendly figure and is able to have the same amazing energy Miss Rodman had.”

The St. Edward theatre department has put on many successful shows. Including some popular shows like Bye Bye Birdie and Grease. As audition season comes closer we continue to wait to hear any news about our department. We hope to find a new and experienced director that could help put on many more successful shows. Theatre will forever be in our hearts and as for the class of 2020 we are hoping our last Thespian season is one of the best. Adjusting to a new director might be a little difficult but, in the language of theatre, the show must go on!