Senior Luca Corso flying like an Eagle

St. Alexius Hospital

Pictured (from left): Hoffman Estates Mayor McLeod, father Vito, mother Maria, Luca Corso, Katie Hammerber, Linda DeLarco, and Mary Kate

Peter Cholewa, Reporter

Luca Corso, a senior at St. Edward Central Catholic High School in Elgin, is working on his Eagle Scout rank. Corso, son of Vito and Maria Corso, started Cub Scouts with Pack 399 in the third grade.  He eventually transitioned into Boy Scouts Troop 399 and is currently seeking the highest rank one can achieve in the Boy Scouts of America.

To receive an Eagle Scout Rank, scouts are required to complete a service project. Corso chose to make lap boards for benefactor St. Alexis Women and Children’s Hospital. He got this idea after recently being in the hospital himself. He came to the realization that a lapboard would be useful for reading, coloring, and other activities for patients of all ages. Corso’s design was approved by the troop and the hospital and after nearly 70 hours of working on the boards he donated 15 lapboards to the hospital. Corso completed this service project with the help of The Michael S. DeLarco Foundation, a foundation in memory of a 399 troop member who passed away. The DeLarco foundation paid for the materials for the project.

St. Alexis representative Mary Kate said, “Luca’s project was a great idea and the lapboards have already been in use by our patients.”

Corso will graduate in May and plans to study criminal justice sciences in college next year. His advice for anyone looking to achieve their Eagle Scout rank is, “Take it step-by-step, work diligently, and keep the goal in mind. You aren’t only doing this project for the benefit of you having your Eagle Scout rank, you’re doing it for the benefit of a greater cause.”