Celebrating Catholic Schools Week

AnnMarie Woj

Junior class at Feed My Starving Children

Scarlet Enright, Social Media

Catholic Schools Week was a time to share good news of what was happening at St. Edward Central Catholic High School, and an opportunity to come together as a student body in faith and education rooted in the teachings of Jesus. The week began with a school-wide field trip to Feed My Starving Children. Yellow buses were filled with eager St. Edward students who were happy to lend a hand and serve. The juniors and seniors packed 114 boxes, which will provide 24,624 meals to hungry nations around the world. The freshmen and sophomores were delayed in getting bus service but were able to make up for lost time and packed 72 boxes and 15,552 meals. Packing food and sealing boxes was a great start to Catholic Schools Week, especially knowing that the meals gave hungry children a chance at a better life through healthy nutrition. 

Tuesday was a celebration of our students and twin day, where students had the chance to dress up as twins and get out of uniform. Tuesday night was rocking with a Girls’ Basketball home game followed by the Boys. The Girls beat Westmont 46-44 and the Boys downed Aurora Christian 40-36, so both teams completed a full sweep. The fans were dressed in their best and loudest pajamas and slippers and made the most of the home-court advantage. 

Wednesday was a day to celebrate the nation and national pride by dressing down in clothes that represented a state. Mr. Kohls broke out his Cheddar cheese hat and Packer jersey in celebrating America’s Dairyland. Our State-bound cheer team performed in the gym to a standing ovation. 

Thursday was a celebration of vocations and Grandparents Day. Father Blood led mass in the gym, and many of the students’ grandparents were in attendance. After Mass, there were refreshments and a school tour. With the cheerleaders qualifying for State, students and teachers filled the hallways and applauded as the band led the cheerleaders on their State Walkout. 

Friday was a celebration of staff and volunteers. Our dedicated teachers, staff, and volunteers often go unnoticed, so it was a day of appreciation for them. It was also a green and gold day; students wore school colors and watched the cheer team perform on a projection screen in the gym. The school day ended with a trivia game of 15 Questions and early dismissal. A microcosm of the week was when the school supported the cheer team and their success. Freshman Zachary Sauceda summed it up quite nicely, “The cheerleaders are always there to support other sports so I’m glad that we got a chance to support them on their way to the State Finals.” 

Catholic Schools Week was a time when students, faculty, staff, and volunteers celebrated their dedication to St. Edward Central Catholic High School. This week brought our community as a whole as we not only had fun together but did service for others. These acts of kindness are what make Catholic schools special.