The weather calls for baby showers

Nathalia Aguirre, Yearbook Copy Editor

Yesterday, the National Honor Society celebrated its annual baby shower. This event helps with service opportunities for scholarships and maintains the NHS qualities. Ms. Kessuvan, the club’s moderator, planned the event along with the board members of the club. The baby shower took place in the gym which was nicely decorated with balloons and streamers. Ms. Kessuvan contacted the Crisis Center located in Elgin to see what items were in need. Its mission is to “provide safety, hope, advocacy, respite and education for those impacted by crisis and violence in the Fox Valley Region in Illinois”. Then, the members all donated items like diapers, clothing, blankets, and more. The members of the club were able to invite a guest to the shower who also donated gifts for the Crisis Center. The baby shower had a great turnout and was able to donate 52 gifts to the Crisis Center.

All the members and guests dressed up in their spring attire. Everyone listened to fun music and mingled with their friends. The students also enjoyed refreshments and snacks to celebrate the great cause. Although the students were able to miss their fourth-period class, it was more than just a party, the event made a direct impact on our local community and demonstrated our values as students of St. Edward.

Board member and president of NHS, Kailey Treiber says “I was very excited for this year’s baby shower, especially considering COVID restrictions hindered our ability to reach our full potential as a group last year. This is an event that I personally love because it allows our NHS community to come together, and make something wonderful happen for women who need our help.”