What St. Edward is giving up for Lent

Jianna Birns, Yearbook Copy Editor

Lent has begun and I know I have heard plenty of people sharing what they are giving up for Lent. Lent is a time to give up something you really enjoy for the 40 days leading up to test your self-discipline. It is important to give something up for Lent to improve our spiritual life. We don’t notice the little things that we take advantage of in our everyday life. Lent is a time to give up something that you don’t need and to focus your time more on God. Most people usually give up the same things for Lent. It can be very difficult to decide what to give up for Lent without it becoming repetitive of your giving up chocolate.

I asked students at St. Edward to figure out the most popular things people were giving up this year for Lent. One of the most popular things people give up is chocolate or candy. I think that this is a very popular thing to give up because Easter day is full of candy. The anticipation of not being able to eat any Easter candy until Easter can make it very difficult. Most people give up some sort of food for Lent. Senior Delaney Nolan gave up carbs and all sweets. Many of St. Edward’s students gave up similar things like fast food, coffee, ice cream, etc. Freshman Maggie Jarzemsky is giving up soda for Lent. She says, “It is a little difficult this year because I really like to drink soda.”

Most people focus on giving something up for Lent.  But we always forget that we can do something extra during Lent. Even though Lent already started, you can start doing something new now. Some things you can do extra during Lent are praying every day, going to confession weekly, making sure you are going to Mass once a week, journaling daily, etc.  Easter is April 17th this year; try not to be tempted by the thing you gave up!