Turkeys don’t only come at Thanksgiving

Drew Pemberton, Staff Reporter

The 2021-2022 season is underway and the boys’ bowling team is ready to win. With new coaches this year and plenty of new players, the boys have high hopes of having a winning season and can’t wait to see how it unfolds. The team kicked off their season with their first practice on November 1st and their first match on November 8th. They beat Immaculate Conception High School to start their season 1-0. Senior, Adan Cabezudo, one of the team captains says, “I have to take control of my team and make them feel better about themselves when they don’t bowl their best.” 

This year, there are twenty athletes that went out for the team. The varsity team has three seniors (Adan Cabezudo, Sam Birdsell, and Kyle West), four juniors (Chris Taing, Michael CozziDrew Pemberton, and Cole Wiedmaier), two sophomores (Joshua Avila and Andrew Ramos), and one freshman (Michael Cones). For the JV squad, there is one senior (Liam Freeman), one junior (Nicholai Sydzik), four sophomores (Lucas Birdsell, Brendan Mangan, Edwin Ouimet, and Jeremiah Roldan), and four freshmen (Jack Jimenez, Max Gillie, Jake Petruczenko, and Anthony Rodriguez). Overall, each player shows good potential and has plenty of room for improvement.  

As for concerns about Covid-19, the only thing players have to worry about is wearing a mask since bowling is indoors. Everyone knows Covid has affected their sport in some way and for something like bowling to still have a season is something all the players are excited about.  

For some seniors, this season is one that is the most important to them. “On one side I’m finally one of the top guys, everyone looks to us when they have questions or if they need help, and it really teaches you how to be a leader and that people do look up to you,” Kyle West says. Being a leader on any team is something everyone should strive for no matter what grade they’re in. Liam Freeman has just started bowling for St. Edward this year and is excited about undergoing the experience. “This is my first-year bowling for St. Edward. I like it so far and I hope I can make it to varsity by the end of the season.” Bowling may be an entirely new sport for some people, but luckily, its something everyone can adapt to quickly. However, winning and getting a good score isn’t what some people join the team for. First-year bowler and senior, Sam Birdsell says, “The respect for each other and how I want to see my teammates grow and improve is something I’ll always enjoy about being on the team. I also enjoy it because it allows me to socialize with guys that I do know and guys that I don’t know.” 

New coaches have joined the team this year, Coach Paul and Coach Erv. They both have experience in coaching high school sports at St. Edward, volleyball and golf are a few examples. As the season goes on, everyone hopes to make the most out of every match and win as most as possible.