Meet the spiritual new theology teacher, Mr. Gonzalez

Kelly Hancock, Staff Reporter

Mr. Gonzalez is new to the St. Edward family this year and is currently teaching Theology 3 and 4 classes. He has previously taught math, but after taking a break from teaching to help raise his son, he felt called to teach about our faith.

The thing he wishes the students know about him is that he’s a spiritual person and believes what he teaches. Faith is not just a lesson plan to him, it’s something that he lives by. He has a master’s degree in theology and is happy to be at St. Edward this year. When asked what his favorite part about our school was, he replied, “I really like the fact St. Ed’s is a real close-knit community, I really enjoy that. And I think it really speaks to how we are. We don’t have to be in a big crowd, we can exist in a smaller area.”

When Mr. Gonzalez went to high school at Lake Park he participated in the drama club with their productions and competitions. His favorite play he did at Lake Park was Testing of Eric Olthwaite which is one of his competition shows. Although he didn’t perform it, his favorite play to watch is Les Misérables. In school, his favorite subject was math, where he liked to do algebra and trigonometry. When he isn’t in school, he and his family enjoy doing various escape rooms. For those of you who may not have Mr. Gonzalez this year, his advice for you is: “Be open. It’s not just about learning facts and figures it’s about finding out who we are, so be open.” So the next time you are in his class or see him in the hallway, make sure to say hello and welcome him to the St. Edward family.