St. Ed’s summer reading challenge

Alissa Hill, Staff Reporter

St. Edward is issuing a Summer Reading Challenge for all students.   This year, Johnny GreenWave and the summer reading mascot, the talking Cockatoo bird Rose, will leave a list of phrases or clues that will lead you to a book which you will read to answer the second part of the clue. The answers from the clue will leave you a password which is the ending of the Summer Reading Challenge. Getting the correct keyword and answers before school ends for the year will give extra credit for the underclassmen towards next year and for the seniors extra credit on all their finals. Getting the keyword right is only half of the extra credit, but getting both the keyword and answers right will earn you full extra credit. So good luck and hopefully you can answer the clues!

Ex) Practice Clue Part 1: Rose and Johnny GreenWave heard from a nearby bird that they saw a “mocking jay” that was “catching fire” from flying too close to the flames of the campfire so they must put out the fire. Part 2: The “Mocking Jay” from the clue above lives in a “town district that is the number of apostles”. Answer 1: Catching Fire from the Hunger Games. Answer 2: Katniss Everdeen. Answer one is the title of the book and the second is about something in the book.

Clue Number 1 Part 1: Johnny GreenWave was surfing the ocean when he heard nearby fish talking about a “thief that stole from a guy named Jupiter” and this “Seaweed Brain”. Part 2: The “thief” who wields a “sword” you better watch your “back” for because the sword is a “biter”.

Clue Number 2 Part 1: Rose flew over the sky and saw a little “white rabbit” hopping about yelling he was late and talking about a “land full of wonder”. Part 2: The rabbit also was muttering about a “queen” who wore this color and ranted about “roses” painted this color.

Clue Number 3 Part 1: Johnny GreenWave was popping through the city of “Chicago in an alternate universe” when he heard about “dauntless” people on the run from “Erudite”. Part 2: This person’s name is a “number”, and his real name is “Tobias”.

Clue Number 4 Part 1: Rose was traveling when she heard about a town in “Greece” that was plagued by a “certain complex” that led to this town’s plights. Part 2: This “protagonist became blind and was left as a baby by his mother”.

Clue Number 5 Part 1: Johnny GreenWave went for a walk and met a “furry orange creature that spoke for the trees”. Part 2: This person wrote about the furry little orange creature who spoke for the trees.

Keyword: arrange the letters to get a word.

_______=First letter of the answer from clue one part one.

_______=First Letter of the answer from clue one part two.

_______= First Letter of the answer from clue two part one.

_______=First Letter of the answer from clue two part two.

_______=First Letter of the answer from clue three part one.

_______=First Letter of the answer from clue three part two.

_______=First Letter of the answer from clue four part one.

_______=First Letter of the answer from clue four part two.

_______=First Letter of the second word from clue five-part one.

_______=First Letter of the second word from clue five-part two.