Making the school a better place: The sophomore senators

Gabriella Sarullo, Photo Editor

In the recent St. Edward 2020 Student Council election, there were five sophomore senators elected this year. They are Stephanie Cortes, Jason Garcia, Joseph Johnson, Kevin McGuire, and Ashton Niehaus. These sophomore senators were elected by their fellow classmates in hopes that they will have an impact on this year’s Student Council. The Student Council holds many events throughout the school year such as homecoming, student council week, and prom. The student council senators help run these events and make sure everything goes as planned. The senators also pick the themes for spirit weeks and the dances. The sophomore Student Council members hope to be able to hold these fun events this year even with Covid-19. Sophomore senator Joseph Johnson says, “I am looking forward to the possibility of Homecoming in the spring and Student Council week in May.”

The coronavirus has impacted this year’s student council in many ways. They are unable to hold their usual in-person meetings with everyone and it will be harder for them to plan their annual events. “I think since we’re all doing hybrid learning, meeting all together is going to be a bit of a struggle,” says sophomore senator Stephanie Cortes. The Student Council hopes to be able to hold some events during this first semester that is COVID-19 safe for example fun dress-up spirit weeks.

The sophomore senator Student Council members hope to make the school a better place and be a voice for their fellow classmates. These sophomores will help contribute to many student council events this school year and help bring some light into this very crazy year we are having. We cannot wait to see what these senators have instore for the rest of the school year.

Meet the Sophomore Senators

Kevin McGuire

This is Kevin’s second year on Student Council. His goals for the school year are to hopefully increase the input that students have in both the operations and marketing of our great school. Kevin wanted to run for student council because he enjoyed serving on Student Council last year and is taking what he learned from that experience to hopefully help improve the school more. The Student Council event that Kevin is most excited about is student council week. Kevin is also on the basketball team.

Ashton Niehaus

This is Ashton’s second year on Student Council. His goals for the school year are to make the school a better place and help other students. Ashton wanted to run for student council because he wanted to be more involved in the school. The Student Council event that Ashton is most excited about is student council week. Ashton participates in football, basketball, and catholic outreach.

Joseph Johnson

This is Joseph’s second year on Student Council. His goals for the school year are to hopefully have actual events this school year instead of online activities. Joseph wanted to run for Student Council because his freshman year Big Sister convinced him to run for Student Council his freshman year. The Student Council event that Joseph is most excited about is student council week. Joseph also participates in Catholic Outreach and bowling.

Jason Garcia

This is Jason’s first year on Student Council. His goals for the school year are to keep his grades up and to help others when he can. Jason wanted to run for Student Council because he wants to make the school a better place. The Student Council event that Jason is most excited about is student council week. Jason also participates in the Rotary Interact Club, Spanish Club, and football.

Stephanie Cortes

This is Stephanie’s first year on Student Council. Her goals for the school year are to have a good year despite all the bad things happening. Stephanie wanted to run for Student Council because she wanted to become more involved with the school and help plan the Student Council events. The Student Council event that Stephanie is most excited about is homecoming and student council week. Stephanie also participates in the Rotary Interact Club, French Club, and the Environmental Activists Club and she is also on the swim and soccer team.