College Deadlines are Right Around the Corner!

Ms. Woj

(Left) Madalynn Duffy, Megan Pease, Tom Reeder, Erin Kremer

Jessy Kramp, Reporter

With Early Action and Early Decision just around the corner, seniors are rushing to finish applications by November 1, and/or November 15. Some students may be already finishing and applying to the universities of their choice, while other students did not start their applications yet. Seniors have a lot of weight on their shoulders with what they want to do in the future, and the planning of their desired majors. Here are some firsthand accounts of a few seniors at St. Edward’s who are going through the process of college admissions and applications.

Tom Reeder
What colleges are you applying to?
I applied to University of Illinois, University of Iowa, Dominican University, and Eastern Illinois University.

When did you start your process?
I started touring campuses in June and July and I started my application in the beginning of August.

How did you feel during the application process?
It really didn’t take that much time, and it wasn’t really exhausting. I thought the process was really simple, especially Iowa’s application. There was no essay or letter of recommendation needed, only basic information.

How do you feel now that you are finished with the process?
I feel really relieved and now I can focus more on current school work, better…I guess.

Are you applying to any more colleges?
As of right now, no.

Megan Pease
What Colleges are you applying to?
I applied to University of Wisconsin-Whitewater, Northern Illinois University, University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, North Central College, and Western Illinois University.

When did you start your process?
I started between late August and early September.

I felt nervous, but very organized.

I am still kind of nervous, because now it is whether you get accepted or not; It is kind of nerve racking.

Maya Quartetti
What colleges are you applying to?
I applied to Gonzaga, Santa Clara University, UC-Berkeley, and  New York University
When did you start your process?
June.

I hated my life.

I feel stressed, but relieved.

Erin Kremer
What colleges are you applying to?
I am applying to Santa Clara University, Loyola University Marymount, Purdue, University of North Carolina Chapel Hill, and University of Iowa.

When did you start your process?
I started this summer.

I felt very much stressed, but excited for the future.

I am not finished with the process, so I am still very stressed, but I am happy that I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Madalynn Duffy
What colleges are you applying to?
Dayton, Augustana, Belmont, University of Missouri ,Indiana University, and Miami OH

When did you start your process?
I just started it, and I just put my information in. With Early Decision, I was worried that the colleges would take the Early Decision application over Regular Decision first. After talking to many admissions offices, it doesn’t matter.

I thought it was easy because your counselors have to do all the work, and I feel sorry for them. It is just another essay you have to write, and I’ve done that a million times.

I am not finished because I have decided to take the ACT two more times to get my scores up for scholarships.

As you can see, there are a variety of students in different positions for college applications. For those who are experiencing pressure or stress to get college applications finished with before Early Decision or in time for Regular Decision, Ms. Popa has some words of advice on where students should ideally be within the process. For where students should be as of right now with the college process, she states, “They should have already confirmed and spoken with who needs to write them letters of recommendation, if they have the November 1 deadline. If they have deadlines on November 15, they have a little more time. If they are not applying for Early Action/Decision, students should be working their way through the Common Application.” She also stated her past experiences and exposure to working with many high school seniors in the past. “This is my 5th full year working at a high school, so I’ve been working as a teacher, helping with the application process, but also with general college questions. “What should I write in my essays,” or, “What do these deadlines mean,” or “Where should I apply,” are common questions I hear, and I give advice in general with what majors to part take in and college related inquiries.”

If any seniors need any assistance or help with the process of college applications, Ms. Popa and Mrs. O’Donnell are always open to answer any questions or give advice!