From the Hearts of St. Edward Students

Jessy Jasso, Reporter

“The smiles on the kids faces and the tears in the parents eyes were proof that God’s love was being shared with us from St. Edwards School!!” Discussed Donya Parsley, Youth Minister at St. Mary and St. Martin de Porres Catholic Church.

The Green Wave student body united during academic enrichment time to make 20 fleece tie-blankets during the week of September 19. These were sent to St. Mary Catholic Church in Beaumont, Texas for the children who have lost their belongings due to the Hurricane Harvey floods.

This was all made possible with the help of St. Edward’s staff, the Student Council and Rotary Interact club members who made a contribution to assist with the costs of the shipping and materials needed. Lastly, thanks to Spiritual Director, Fr. Andrew Dietz arranging the partnership with St. Mary’s

Church who asked members of their youth group to distribute the blankets to families in need.
Each student that was working on a blanket was encouraged to write a personal message to attach to their blanket. Mrs. Gullickson’s Spanish 3 students translated them in Spanish. St. Mary’s church is a small parish family with a very diverse congregation; many of their parishioners speak Spanish!

“Thank you so much for supporting this activity”, said Spanish teacher, Mrs. Gullickson. “Service-Learning is a teaching methodology where students take knowledge learned in the classroom into the community to perform a needed service.”