Giving The Edge a voice

Anna Skog, Reporter

If you have been on The Edge website recently, you may have noticed a new section: podcasts! Jake Kaufman, a sophomore at St. Edward, has started up a sports broadcast called “Sideline Sports” through a series of podcasts. Kaufman’s interest in radio is started with sports, listening to the WGN radio broadcasts of the Bulls, Bears, Blackhawks and Sox on the road. Kaufman says, “I noticed how the broadcasters still made you feel like you were there at the game with the excitement in their voice…On air, voice is all you got and it can be a challenge. But, I like a challenge.”

Kaufman sure does like a challenge, and since then, he has attended a broadcasting camp for two summers. The camp introduces aspiring radio announcers to the different types of play-by-play sports, from a slower paced baseball game to a fast paced hockey game. “The camp gave me the opportunity to experience the various sports and see if it’s something I want to pursue professionally as a career” says Kaufman. Through the camp, he was able to attend teach sessions by and meet well-known announcers from ESPN.

On air, voice is all you got and it can be a challenge. But, I like a challenge.

— Jake Kaufman

Kaufman now brings this passion for radio to the Greenwave, having interviewed Coach Ro, quarterback Dylan Milnarich, and most recently, the 2016 senior football players. His podcasts are featured on The Edge website, under the sports section.

In the near future, Jake hopes to continue his podcasts. “For now, I’d like to continue interviews with students playing on St. Ed’s winter and spring sports teams and have big plans to do a March Madness broadcast with a special guest” Keep checking the website, and we’ll find out more about that in the spring!

Kaufman has big plans for the future, aspiring to eventually create a St. Edward radio show, not only covering sports, but things like mini plays and random acts of kindness as well. “I can’t believe I’m saying this, but there are lots of other interesting things to talk about on air besides sports!” he commented. However, Kaufman can’t do it alone, so he hopes to recruit some other St. Ed’s students passionate about radio broadcasting. If you are interesting in helping to grow the St. Edward podcasts, talk to sophomore Jake Kaufman!