Madam President Kelly

Sarah Hayward

Your 2017-18 Student Council President!

Sarah Hayward, Reporter

Meet your 2017-18 Student Council President, Mary Catherine Kelly!

Mary is a senior this year at St. Ed’s. She has been on Student Council since freshman year. Mary plays varsity volleyball, varsity basketball, and track. She is ecstatic to be leading the student body this year and has some great plans! I decided to sit down with her and see what she has in store.

Mary wants to open up the line of communication between the student’s and faculty. As a leader in the school, you are often looked upon as the one to make changes. Mary does not feel pressured at all. She wants to make a positive impact on our school community and wants to be the change this school year. Like everyone, she has things to work on, too. “I apologize for the announcements, but I’m getting better!” Mary explained. She welcomes the 2017 school year and is excited for what’s to come.

While she is doing things with the executive members of Student Council, she wants everyone to try something new with her. “I think that the student body should feel more comfortable talking to Student Council about making changes!”. That’s right, folks! She wants YOU to help with ideas and projects around the school too. As the school year kicks off, help Mary help you.

“I am working hard. The rest of this year is going to go by fast, but there are some things I know I want to do. I am looking forward to hearing more from the student body, so we can work together to get things done”, Kelly says.

Do you want to run for Student Council President after Mary is gone? Well, you’re in luck. Mary gave me a few tips that may help you be a leader in the future! She explains that you have to be very vocal. Let your voice be heard, even if it is a small school. Be responsible; take on the challenges of high school and your teenage years with grace. Last but definitely not least, you have to be approachable. Let the younger kids look up to you and be a role model for them.